Monday, April 04, 2005

Overly Dramatic or Over-used?

My friends, we are in a musical slump. Rock, rap, hip hop, country (ugh), pop, and all other forms of music have gotten boring. Except polka. But we'll come to that when we get there. So why is there such a bad trend in music? Why cant bands stop sounding the same or posing? Why are you so gosh-darn downright, drop dead sexy Oh Pretty One? These questions and more are sure to be answered if my A.D.D doesnt kick in.
Now then I wont go on rants about rap or hip hop or country or pop because I dont know much about those forms of music. Shocking I know. So I will move straight to the rock side of the music spectrem. So my lovlies, we have a band. They sound good, look good and generally do the whole rock-and or -roll "thang". But whats this? They get signed and BOOM! image make over. They are now hard rocking punks instead of the more soothing Radiohead and Death from above 1979. And why you ask? Because they need to be produced for a more general audience. Lets take a look at my home province band of Nickleback.
Everyone knows at least one song by them unless you've been living in a box behind a Denny's for the last 5 or 6 years. Now then, Nickleback are a wildly succesful band going platnium on many of their albums. The record executives see this and realize that they can make more money by finding "look-alike bands" hence the trend of "generic rock".
While there are some good bands on the radio I must go on a rant against the POP punk Montrealers known as Simple Plan. Simple Plan wear black clothes, piercings tattoos and claim to live the punk lifestyle. Yet they right catchy and more often then not whiny songs about being misunderstood. They are claiming to be punk while making millions of dollars selling records to depressed 14 year olds. Very sad. But not uncommon. Punk bands, unless incredibly persistent, sell out and become less then legit to their original fans. Green Day can be called sell outs after the song "Time of your life (Good Riddance)" came out in 1997. They're an excellent band that write amazing songs. Blink 182 before they got Travis as a drummer, were an excellent real punk band. Thier first album "Cheshire Cat" wasnt a major commercial success but it was still a good punk album. Even "Dude Ranch" thier second was a good album. Then Scott, the original drummer left the band to persue other ventures Blink realized they could make more money by selling more public friendly albums. I will say again that both these bands are good so I wont get lawyers banging down my door.
So my advice to you my hopefully clothed and amazingly intelligent reader is to find a good underground band. There are tons out there. Each with their own unique sounds and qualities that might appeal to you. If you enjoy punk then I'd say head over and look for a label called Epitaph records. All sorts of good punk bands have joined them and perhaps you'll find something you like.
Now we are at a close and I will state my above thought. Rock and music in general has gotten dull. Mostly same sounding bands all over the radio. So go my little flying monkeys and find a good underground band and premote them. Or start a band yourself. Or start a record label. Im not going to tell you what to do with you life. Now then, go find yourself some poutine and enjoy the weather.
Thank you and goodnight.
I've misplaced my pants.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like country.. heh

Anonymous said...

I _---_ _---_ POLKA
_ _ _
_ _
_ _
_

Anonymous said...

that was supposed to be a heart, but it went all gay in the posting thing.

Anonymous said...

how shall i say this..... its interesting to read your views about the music that is taking over our lives right now, yet although you seem to hate the fact that everyone sounds the same you still continue to just listen to the radio. it appears that you yourself have not exactly taken the time to find bands that haven't been 'corrupted'. however if in your opinion you believe that blink 182 were actually once a punk band then maybe you should stick to the radio.

Erroneous Monk said...

Ah but the were. They were an indy band in the early 90's. The first two albums had good punk tunes such as "M&Ms". Even the song "Dammit" off thier second album Dude Ranch can be called "punk" though it was more pop then. I dont listen to the radio that much but when I do I hear the same sounding bands over and over. Thanks for the comment though.

Anonymous said...

Ive gotta agree that blink and sum arent perticularly good, but with most polular music these days, the objective seems to be that you should get a nice sounding track. Long story short: the ideal is a heavy beat and a neat tune. the lyrics are inconsiquential. good post though.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you buttersworth.

Anonymous said...

yeah, pop-punk is really bad.