Friday, April 08, 2005

C'mon and Get on the Trollie

People in the 30s, 40s and 50s were way cooler then they were in the 80s,90s and today. They had more style more flair and generally a more zest for life. Why? you magnificent people ask. Easily. By looking at the clothing of the day. In the thirties fedoras and suits were the fashions of the day. Zuit suits and large hats were the classic thing of the age. The 40s brought us swing, 30s brought in jazz although it was al ready well established in black society. and the 50s brought us that wonderful music called rock-a-billy and what is now called rock 'n' roll.
Now lets look at the 80's. Wearing short shorts, mullets and listening to hair metal was "cool". So you drive down in your 1985 Trans Am. Aviators glinting in the light while your parachute pants and tight t-shirt flap in the wind. Sythesizer music blaring. Ugh. 80's music was way too wrapped up in the glitz and glam. While yes there were some good tunes that came out the majority was absolute garbage.
The early 90s were better. The death of "hair metal" and the rise of the depressing grunge era clothing and music changed. Bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and of course Nirvana brought us new fashions. Checkered lumberjack shirt, white t-shirt, Doc Martens, and of course ripped jeans. The grunge look was in. Until the same shirt you could buy at some second-hand store for $5 suddenly became a $120 shirt at a designer store. So grunge died slowly but its effects on music and the world was quite amazing.
Then there was the "pop" years. Im going to just skip that because as much as I would love to gush about the Backstreet Boys, N*sync, Spice Girls and Britney, I would have to shoot off my left foot.
So here we are in 2005. Style has become something of the past. The English language is become more and more dumbed down do to "webspeak". Language was so much better in the thirties. Hence why I urge you dear big band member readers to go out and start using thirties slang. Like that Simpsons episode with the carnies. We could revolutionize the world my friends.
Now then I'll do my part if you do yours. I will construct a megaphone out of some string, a squirrel, a few twigs and.....a megaphone. It shall be hard but I'll try.
Swing briefly came back in the late 90's but quickly died do to the demand for Latin pop. MAybe its time for it to come back again instead of the Stalinistic grip pop has on us. Speaking of Stalin I believe I have a solution. If you read my first post on this....thinger then you will know that Stalins chemical balance in the brain was disrupted by lack of canned fruit. Maybe thats what we need my kangaroo loving munchkins. So go start using 30s slang while eating canned fruit in your 1985 Trans Am. And dont ask me why I tied a squirrel to a megaphone.
Thank you.
I twitch oddly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should see a doctor about that twitch.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it could be that wierd desease where you get those random twitch's.

Anonymous said...

The style of every decade progressed the culture we know of today. If you removed any decade, the following one would turn out the same as the one you removed, because style, and art form a progression. I have to admit, the 80's werent all that kind to me (seeing as though I graduated from high school in '87 with a mullet{my kids are always laughing at my grad pictures}) but it was still a nessisary time. Todays culture is composed of many different people with many different interets. My daughter listens to "Pop" (hip hop) and my son listens to rock. What I mean by this example, is that everyone listens to different music these days, unlike in previous decades where "pop" really mean't "pop." everyone listend to it. What I beleive will happen, is that there will come a peron who will revolutionize musical culture, someone not unlike Elvis, and a new Era will be born.

Anonymous said...

Pearl Jams great. Nirvana was awesome too.....

you made a megaphone out of a squirrell?

Anonymous said...

howd you catch it. ANIMAL RIGHTS! ANIMAL RIGHTS! im jk

Anonymous said...

O..M...G... i LOVE Nsync! OMG OMG OMG!