Saturday, December 02, 2006

My Hermeneutic- genesis of my articulating an idea coherently

I thought that I would clarify my last post. Judging by the rather glib comments mostly poking at my substance abuse issues i take it that the post was too abstract and vague. On one hand I wish to leave it abstract and vague, so that the readers of the text can interpret it in thier own way. The preposterous notion that a text can mean one single thing has long ago been erradicated from most thinking peoples' minds, but it creeps back in subtle ways. People still persist in the fantasy that they can know something that is true. Perhaps this is because people are all very egocentric and are trapped in the sad idea that they even know themselves...back to hermeneutics though...I write so that the reader can read their own human experience into the text and thereby learn something about existence by engaging with the text, i.e. the expression of my human experience. The relationship between writer and reader creates a space where two beings can understand one another, in a form of conversation which has advantages over verbal conversation.

In my last post I wished to say many things:
1. I was commenting on the futility of writing. First, most of what we write in our society is meaninglessness embodied in ink and paper...memos, essays, post-it-notes, reference letters, birthday cards etc...We live in a completely mechanistic and utilitarian society in which most writing constitues the next command into a computer for an international paperclip manufacturing coorporation. Second, the depressingly full libraries of our society are enough to make any writer feel miniscule. Unless, perchance one person reads my work and engages with it in the way described above. Then maybe a scrap of meaning can be found in writing.

2. I was also commenting on a environmental/economic issue, connected to the first point about futility, that we consume huge amounts of natural resources to keep our meaningless society from collapsing in on its paper frame.

3. I was commenting on how we ignore that written text is a connection between writer and reader, described above. We stack our books away and treat them like objects when they are actually an opportunity to communicate with even the dead. To learn more about this idea read Emily Dickinson's poems "In a Library" and "A Book".

What I really want though, is that my readers would respond to the text with their own experiences. That is the written dialogue which is made possible by blogs. I don't want to know if someone liked my writing or not, I really don't care, although literary criticism is a useful exercise. I want people to be affected by the text, allow themselves to be affected, and to respond with their own utterence of their existence.

It is way to late for this and I have hardly clarified my last blog, but I am getting somewhere. I am producing, havn't found the joke yet, but I need the hermeneutical feedback of the other to get anywhere.

and I'm spent...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree in all entirety and with unspoken vigor.

A book is a conversation with the greatest minds in history- a conversation in which only their greatest thoughts are arrayed in coherant splendor.

Writing as an art form is dying, as a means of connunication, is dying. Attention spans are shrinking as our waistlines are bulging, we venture farther and farther from our connection with the earth, with each other, and our capacity for these connections becomes as tennuoous and distant as our common means of communication, pounded out e-mails, instant messangers.

Faster, faster, faster, information, utility, what to do, and when, where, forget the why- too little time. Utility.

We live in a house of cards.
Post-it-notes, really.
Time to open the windows and let the wind blow.

Erroneous Monk said...

I like soup.

the philosopher one said...

case and point John...not enough fresh crisp cold air for you I see...let the wind blow indeed, I mean it...

Heliantheae said...

ummm...much too much to read dearest andy. but i will. one day. soon. when the exams are over and the flowers be fair. as i sing in the hallways - my hallucinations leading me - if i dare. hence for now i'll but bid you all adieu. and pray you let me rest in my mindless haven for jist another few

Erroneous Monk said...

Jist is a word?

Anonymous said...

no it is not! look baby, i'm getting smarter!!!

the philosopher one said...

yes it is...webster was a lieing bastard...

Erroneous Monk said...

Lying, dear Andy, Lying.

the philosopher one said...

y's were also created by webster and his ss buddies!

the nortre dame said...

what's an ss buddy? is that code for dumbasses? oh andrew, you're oh so cool! ps. liars go to hell.

the philosopher one said...

the ss was hitler's secret service, his devoted followers, they were bad people

Erroneous Monk said...

I have my own SS. So far only Allsion...but more later

the nortre dame said...

danana...danana...DANANA.....

the nortre dame said...

wait a second?! did you say, MORE?! what the fuck john...

the nortre dame said...

i will not have a threesome w/ sue no matter what you say. we've already talked about this, I'M SORRY!

the nortre dame said...

and did you just call allison a bad person? WHAT?!

Anonymous said...

"i will not have a threesome w/ sue no matter what you say. we've already talked about this, I'M SORRY!"

...........john?..............

Erroneous Monk said...

I deny everything.

the nortre dame said...

all i have to say is this: do i lie? no. i do not and that's b/c i can't. looks like you will be having a good spicy convo w/ mr. john soon jeff!

Erroneous Monk said...

Its all a pack of lies. Like gerbils biting!