Friday, December 22, 2006

Epitaph For a Friend

A man is a mosaic of all the different relationships that he has had in his life. Throughout life he makes inumerable utterances of who he is to all the people whom he comes into contact with. The mosaic of all these utterances is who that man is.

When a man dies all those people, carrying with them their piece of the mosaic, come together to sort out who that man was.

Is it possible for a Eulogy to do a man justice? Even if the speaker takes into account some surface differences of that man's relationships with different people, brother, son, friend, teacher etc, it is impossible, for no one person can understand let alone explain who that man was.

Can their be a person in a man's life who holds the guidelines to put all those pieces together?

I don't think so, and that is the loss, not only the physical death, but the fragmentation of the mosaic. The fragmenation of the person's memories, impressions, relationships, dialogue---self.

Those left behind are left with only the piece that they had. Some have small pieces, others large. All incomplete, broken, hurt.

It is the wish of all men to be known fully. This cannot happen in life, and it does not happen upon death, perhaps it can happen beyond death. Perhaps man has 100 senses and upon death we are awakened to the 95 senses that have lain dormant since childhood, only retained in the heart of the poet and the comedian. This is why the idea of heaven has been man's desire for countless aeons. We long for a place where we can know and be known perfectly.

We want someone who can read a dramatic epilogue in a sad film while the music reaches its climax and the shot slowly fades up into the clouds, until everything becomes light. This cannot be.

It's been 4 months, and I'll always remember the piece of Garreth that I knew while he was alive. To my most joyful friend who always smiled, especially when life was kicking him around...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I made a post down below, but I don't know if anyone will see it. It's on " John, John, John." Anyway, I think this is a great blog (it's definately become more intillectual since my last visit) I think these unity issues are quite juvinile. To be frank, the "I love you " is a little nausiating, and it certainly removes from the intillectual atmosphere. I hope I didn't make thing worse by saying that. Again, I like the new face, and am still going through some of the more interesting looking blogs.

the philosopher one said...

I read the comment that you wrote on the other one, as well as Jeffrey Owen's. I quite agree with both comments and I am in fact trying to resusitate some sort of life here. I was not a major contributor at the beginning, but I have been in need of a discusive outlet lately. Frankly, I had no idea that there were other people reading this blog as people rarely comment. I suppose that has something to do with the rather inclusive and trivial blathering which somehow springs off of my writing. Thanks for your comments.

the philosopher one said...

I forgot to say, I really don't want to leave the turkeyshoot and create something new. I am looking for reconciliation and perhaps some maturity and levity in what people type.

Anonymous said...

I agree with JohnC. It really takes away from the Artistic Integrity of this web page. It would be a shame if it were to split up however.

Altruistic Indemnity said...

Look into a dying mans eyes, and you see his life. Every decision he's made. Whether it was regretted or not. That final moment is one of full clarity and understanding. One in which a man haplessly repeats his lifes actions. Good or bad, that was his life.

The greatest achievement is that understanding we see in there final moment. The knowledge that we've done something. Changed someone. That that piece of us continues to grow in the living. Change them and shape the outcome of those who must remain.

Altruistic Indemnity said...

*there - their. Sp.

Heliantheae said...

Wonderfully written, like wow. I'm impressed. Sounds like a bit of a dif writing voice for you, or maybe i'm just crazy; but it sounds...more authentic perhaps.

Anonymous said...

Everyone (The Pretty One, The Philosopher One, Helianthus, &c.) please log in to Blogger (by clicking on the "Blogger" link in the top left- hand side of the screen) and click "Switch Now!" so we can take advantage of the new Blogger features. The message that appears ("These team blogs are owned by someone else:
The Turkey Shoot http://turkeyshoot.blogspot.com
You can still post to these blogs, but they won't have Blogger's new features until their owners upgrade.") means we cannot take advantage of these new features until everyone completes this task. Thank You!

Altruistic Indemnity said...

Also, (The Pretty One, The Notre Dame) please upgrade to new Blogger so you can appear in the list (currently you are classified as "Guest") I am not certain of your permissions to post &c.

the nortre dame said...

do you know what justin, i think people rather us both not post. comments, blogs anything really...it's nice to know someone cares.

Altruistic Indemnity said...

I speak for everyone here when I say that we would love for you to come back and post as much as you like. The real issue here, however, is your (and The Pretty Ones) lack of seriousness. Forinstance: "So much reading. I'll just assume you wenty on about things. I liked it. Way to go, sparky. Christmas pudding for all." It's honestly quite insulting. Your guys "professing your love" is just another show of this. Or so it seems to me.

the philosopher one said...

I think that I upgraded, but I am too technologically inept to tell, can you see if I have Justin?

It isn't entirely about seriousness, I leave rediculous posts sometimes myself. It is about treating art, writing, with respect, and fostering discussion rather than creating an inclusive and trite blog.

Heliantheae said...

ooooh....good way of putting it. and whats this with the upgradingishness? i'm rather confused

Altruistic Indemnity said...

If you sign in with your old blogger name (name here) instead of your email address, then youre on the old blogger. Simple. Voila!
Also, what do you guys think of the new blog? i added some photos, changed up some stuff, and added a more complete site counter (you can check statistics by clicking the link at the bottom)

Heliantheae said...

it looks good...and more organized, i think? and now i shall see how this all works..

Heliantheae said...

the pic kinda creeps me out, but in a good way...is that possible? hmmm...and i think she needs a beer in hand.