Friday, January 06, 2006

A Mere Bagatelle

Anonymous said...
"What an unconvincing argument you present. This economist found a correlation between abortions and the crime rate. He made no moral commentary on the topic. Are you upset that there is a correlation? Or, if you do not believ (sic) that there is a correlation present something on the matter. This is just drivel."
Oh, with what joy I recieved this criticism for my last posting. It seems that my A average at the University of British Columbia means nothing these days. I believe that this comment shows this in two ways. The first is that you damn kids don't respect nothin' no more. The second is that he/she is probably in fact a crack pot student of said university as it is full of vacuous ninnies. Anywho, I will answer this cowardly anon's questions. The first question as to my level of menstraul stress of my mind over a correlation is simply answered. Correlations do not bother me silly rabbit, murder does. You have sanitised the economist's view down to its most basic level without taking into account the more complex issues surrounding the entire abortion. I would ask you anonymous, do you consider a topic like this one of intellectual intrigue or do you have any kind of passion for a deeper understanding of what it means to be human?
Let me tell you a story ripped from the pages of Rousseau's treatise "A Discourse on Inequality". In it he tells a story of a man held in a cage and forced to watch a wild beast tear a baby from it's mother's womb. The man has no relational connection to the woman or the child, yet an empathetic response was necessarily elicited from him. His arguement from this story is that human beings are innately empathetic towards one another. That, I believe, is what LOVE is in part. I can see no point to academic or intellectual queries into the justifications of abortion or any kind of killing for that matter.
My little jittly may in fact be drivel, and I was not in fact trying to make an argument. I care about human beings and all the complex trappings that come along with them.
I believe that a struggle for peace is the most righteous activity that a human can undertake You, sir or madame, Mr or Mrs or Miss or Ms. Anonymous (see I cover my bloody PC bases), may say that I'm a dreamer, but I will tell you just as many before me have said that I'm not the only one, I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will be as one. That isn't logic, that's a dream, and no matter how hard you try to destroy that you will find yourself grasping at nothing but a zephyr.
A mere bagatelle, a mere bagatelle.

1 comment:

Erroneous Monk said...

Fly away all my zephyrs. I hate RHCP. More then the RCMP. I wish I had a turtle.