Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Give me that Old Time Nihilism

So, as I was walking about campus today I ran into a militant vegan...and I've caught your attention.

I had found a pamphlet concerning the maltreatement of animals in slaughterhouses urging people to cut back on meat and lobby the government for better/more sanitary conditions for the animals that we eat. I agree that our food animals should be kept in cleaner conditions and not tortured as they may be in some cases, but it was the conversation with the Vegan Marine that almost made me puke.

He explained to me that his organisation was for the elleviating of all suffering around the world. This sounded like a pretty good idea until I asked him why he would not rather spend his time elleviating the pain of say Somalians and Rwandans (ie humans) to which he answered and this is a quote, "there is no difference between a Somalian and a chicken". I refrained from spitting in his face for this blantantly racist and animalistic comment. It is a sad day when the rights of humans are considred less than the rights of animals.

The pamphlet also contained photographs of dead male chicks, ie chickens not allowed to hatch and the eggs merely smashed and the foetus left to die. They demonised this and arguably compared it to the Holocaust. This is made even more complex for the fact that the man also told me that for humans he is pro-choice. So he oppossed the abortion of chicken foetuses, yet woudn't think twice about killing a human foetus. The barbarity is almost laughable if my throat wasn't so full of vomit.

During the conversation, my firend asked him if he also oppossed the killing of trees. He said yes. I then asked him why he was wearing cotton clothing, and asked him where we stop in elleviating suffering. He said that it is a balance that humans must acheive by consuming only what is needed. For a minimalist he was suprisingly well dressed.

The greatest contradiction in this man's stance is that he did not want to tell anyone to stop eating meat altogether, just limit. No, if you believe that there is no destinction between humans and animals then every hamburger must be murder. In an attempt to be more politically correct and not offend anyone, he sufficiently castrated his argument beyond recovery. I left him politely, telling him that he wasn't as bad as PETA , but I am so shocked that someone could have lost his senses so badly that his opinion was just a flashy new gun shooting nothign but blanks.

I end with a summary of an aphorism from Fredrich Nietzsche's The Gay Science. In it there is a mad man running around with a lantern shouting that "God is dead, we have killed him". He then goes on to say that now that God is dead, "which way is up, which way is down, we shall all go spinning out of control" (these are not direct quotes). It seems to me that this society has completely lost its bearings. Humanists are bad enough in their faith that humans can achieve greatness through eductaion and progress, but these brutally disgusting animalist make me gag. They have no standard for what constitutes anything really. Give me a good old honest nihilist or someone who believes in God. Either God exists and we should try to figure that out or God does not exist and we should all go and do what we see fit which also sounds like a good old time. But, to create transient and inadequate systems of value based on fleeting ideologies is downright stupid and leads to the loss of what it means to be human, whatever that may be.

Eat drink and be merry or believe in God, or perhaps both at the same time, but don't feed me this vegan propoganda. Life is a hot steak not a chilled bowl of guspacho.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the blatant destruction of their own 'causes' by their crappy sell-out logic is getting on my nerves. Don't even have the balls to stand by their own beliefs.
Not to mention the ridiculous attention that animals get paid, when so much worse treatment is doled out on human beings.

"there is no difference between a Somalian and a chicken".
Is THIS what it means to be intelligent and enlightened in our society?...

And the point about he chicken foetuses versus abortion; have these people ever heard of the word CONSISTENCY. You absolutely cannot decry the foetal destruction of 'chickens' so called, though to justify abortion, they have removed the label of what 'IT' will become. So come on now guy's, they didn;t kill chickens, just foetuses, just blobs of matter, just cells- as our friendly, neighborhood abortionist would point out. Get your facts straight, you cannot say that killing chicken foetuses is WORSE than killing HUMAN foetuses. If you were to contend, as abortionist do, that a human foetus is NOT a human, then thesame argument must stand for chickens. PETAS argument is moot. PETA, and all your campus drones, go look up consistency in the dictionary.

Erroneous Monk said...

Mmm Chickens on pita bread.

Anonymous said...

true, true, I didn't personally see the pamphlet, so I can't vouch for that point. As well, chickens are violent little guy's, the spurs on roosters, those bad boys will cut you up good. They'll meet you in the back alley and mess you up. With the pecking, and the poking, and the EARLY MORNING CROWING- wakes my up...I'm so tired..

the philosopher one said...

I want to know who this actually thoughtful person is...sunflower?

Anonymous said...

What's the deal, just because you know who I am, when I comment, you don't want to know who I am by asking? HUH! Take me for granted!, maybe I just want someone to ask me who I am, everyone just, oh look there HE goes, no one ever stops to ask who I am, never. Especially when they already know who I am, like now. But does that mean that I'd any less like to be asked? Who's that thoughtful stranger he asks, never 'my who's that thoughtful jeff that just walked by, maybe I should go ask jeff who he is, so that I can know who this thoughtful jeff is', huh?!

Tee-hee. joking rants are fun, but being angry in real ones is more fun...but then again, fake ones you get to appear angry, but aren't....hmmm...

Erroneous Monk said...

And I take you for nothing more then a deranged chipmunk with a megaphone. and nevermind the irishmen, he bathes in self-pity.

the philosopher one said...

Jeff go drink your whiskey...ah screw it I'll bring it, it isn't self pitty if we bask in it together, then it is empathy, huzzah PrettyOne. We can sulk together thereby vindicating our thoughful Dostoevskian dispositions.

Anonymous said...

very yellow.

Anonymous said...

Bathe in self pity?!
That's the most pithy, shallow remark I've ever had hurled in my general direction in my life. Except perhaps that once at that cow pie throwing competition in Ohio...
But other than that.
So that makes that the second most disgusting thing I've had hurled at me...If you don't count that squid attaching itself to my face...although I suppose it propelled itself...btu then you CAn hurl yourself, lik eoff a bridge for example...so then, that;s the third most disgusting, not to mention disengenuous thing hurled at me in my life...and certainly, barring any further squid attacks, or cow pie hurls; this week as well....Yeah....