Friday, February 02, 2007

unpretentious

Nattering to herself,
-portly, she awkwardly stands.
The graying hair frays, & a whistle
dangles from her neck.
The idea with you lands
- a little gone - out of her head,
as her teeth -
crooked, gaping, norm off centr'd

Yet seemingly captured is something beneath
the crazy - through the eyes -
There is a sparkle.
Her annoying rambles hold a smile
as though she almost knows something
- a secret I could never bare.
Joy encompasses her every glance
peacefully in mind's storm.
Like reality is enclosed within,
seeking to escape

- and conquer

7 comments:

the philosopher one said...

I love the crazy people on the bus, they "know time". Very nice, you capture the dicotomy of the distress, yet peaceful understanding of the "insane" person. "Peacefully in mind's storm", wonderfully said.

I will get to explaining my rather technical post, but as it stands you just took the "posting virginity" of the Turkeyshoot for February. Well, it is ground hog day, so I am off to kill some groundhogs.

Anonymous said...

I like your poem. was It really about a woman on the bus? you do a good job at conveying the kindof awkward emotion.

the philosopher one said...

I am guessing that it is from the bus since both Helianthus and I spend most of our lives on public transit. Helianthus wrote this one though, not I. I am much too like the woman described in this poem to write poetry of any coherent form. If I had been the author this poem would be about my aunt, who is both a pentacostal and a skitzophrenic, such a lovely mix, and described perfectly by this poem.

Altruistic Indemnity said...

I really like your poems, Helianthus. Powerful imagery. An and interesting understanding.

Heliantheae said...

nice job w/ the bus. a lady i see every sunday morning at broadway and granville waiting for the bus...sometimes we are on the same one...

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain I understand the last line of the poem. "-and conquer." it's very good, though.

Heliantheae said...

there's something that she has that is real; something that is going to overcome the ideals and mores of the 'sane'