Monday, May 05, 2008

A Question on Humanity

Recently, while trolling a political forum, I was asked a question on the nature of humanity. I responded with the following- unedited -for your amusement:

Define humanity. Ironically, that depends on which actual definition youre looking to define. As as already been said [in a previous response], humanity refers to human kind as a whole. of course, there are other definitions. such as humanity (compassion, etc.) or humanity (something that makes us human.)
In regards to this last one- pretty much nothing. It's impossible really to prove that anything physical exists. All science and philosophy is based on the assumption that it does ofcourse, but really noone knows. Therefore to define what makes a human a human you have to prove that a human actually exists. Otherwise you could just say that its a horribally abstact concept created through general interaction with other people. it's-to-say the interaction regarding people in general (or group dynamics, the forces of social conformity) because for all intents and purposes, "humanity" in this definition changes around the world and through out time. If a person were raised by wolves they wouldnt really *be* human. they would not possess humanity in this sence and would be an actual animal (as their "humanity" is now defined by a wolf, or any other dynamic.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,
as I said in my comment on John's post above, I was reading through the archives, and through the comments. Having read through some of what I was writing at the time, and some of what you wrote; and most distressingly, what I commented on them. I'm writing this to formally apologise publically for being a colossal asshole in much of what I said back then. I always wanted so much for you, I wanted you to be the absolute best at everyhting you wanted to be. But my high expectations for you are abcolutely no excuse for the stupid things I've said at times, or the sometimes bitchy behavior you've had to deal with from me.
You are a very smart person, Justin- too smart for your own good, sometimes.
You can do whatever you want, and you can always expect support from me.
Have fun in Paris, for gods sake, lol.

Anonymous said...

To sum up: Homo homini lupus.

Man is a wolf to man.