Friday, February 08, 2008

Cockroaches

"Fuck"
Said my bus neighbor. "Fuckin' cockroaches". As I sit idly or ideally, by him I begin to inch further away. My fears are unjustified though. Why would this lumping proletariat riding the chariot of the people try to harm little whacked out me? These fears are inconsequential though for in that moment of time I thought like a rabbit in a snare. Minus the screaming and kicking. Although that did come to my noodle.
"Pardon?" I ask hesitantly. Pardon? Is that damn judge after me again? I digress however. After getting on this busing vehicle at a street that has no meaning or consequence in this story I went, naturally to the back of the busy. Don't want to hob-nob with the driver, a grumpy baby-boomer who wants nothing more then to let teens not beat the living Matlock outta him. I pay the man. Capitalism is still running smooth. I move my ten dollar sneakers to the back of the bus. Near a sketchy looking character. We are kindred spirits he and I. Shady, unsure of what we're up to. We mostly hang about in darkened alleys waiting. For what, you ask? You'll never know. WE don't even know. Or do we?
"Cockroaches, man" The raspy slightly drunk/high voice of my new found soul mate explains. "They're all cockroaches. Scurry around their pathetic lives and when they see the light the hide from it, Man." I am unsure why he thought I was the Man. I dressed much like him. My red checked shirt sheltered underneath a cracked leather jacket. These questions are meaningless however as I have seen his inner turmoil brought up.
"You mean these people?" I ask, fearing for not my life but the life of...well actually my life. These people who tend to rant to complete strangers usually end up on the bell tower wearing a viking helmet singing John Philip Sousa while popping off passers-by. Oh, wait. That's me. My friend, whom I will name Bob, nods his shaggy bearded head. His look of utter disgust and slightly vacant stare put me into his state of mind. We are one.
Silently I think that he's right. People are afraid of the truth. We hide when the great light of truth goes on. Shy away from its blatant oppressive staring eye. We run around putting on airs of superiority and strut like roosters in our proverbial roost. Kings and queens of all we perceive. Except as far as we can see is the plank. I look with a new found respect at Bob. He has uncovered what most never do. Granted, he had some chemical help but nonetheless he is at the apex of thought.
I stare in new vigor at this new Plato, this peon Socrates, this uncouth Aristotle. Hoping for more of his deep, Buddha like wisdom I eagerly await his new statement of truth. To which he promptly passes out. When I left the bus at a stop that was not mine (although I'm sure that someone has it) I walk with a purpose to a place I don't know. Bobs ramblings could be put down as nothing and I could carry on with my little messed up life and not ever think these things. Too many things rattle in my brain. Too much story, too much narrative, or maybe just too much.
I doubt if I will see Bob again or indeed if he will remember that fantastic Wednesday night. I'd like to think he will. As I lay my head on my mattress in my shoe box apartment I smile a smile of contentment. No cockroaches do I fear. People will be people until that orange ball kills us all. Its just the government Nazis I fear. Cockroaches some may be, but they are cockroaches needed to be turned to the light.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"They're all cockroaches. Scurry around their pathetic lives and when they see the light the hide from it, Man."

You call that the apex of thought? That's ridiculous in its simple mindedness. You're arrogant if you think you'd recognize it if you saw it. Plus your grammar and spelling are terrible.

Erroneous Monk said...

Sarcasm is a funny thing. Also, i could care less of what you think, you cockroach. Shipoopi!

the philosopher one said...

I like where your writing is going Jon. I may find you as disagreeable as a headcold sometimes, but you sure as hell can paint a good word picture. Take a chill pill anonymous, I don't think anyone would accuse Jon of being esoteric and elitist in his writing, or even in life. He's far too unique to be arrogant. His grammar and spelling are not "university friendly", and much of the minor errors could have been cleaned up with spellcheck, but if you are critiquing his writing style I think that you are entirely wrong(and out of your league for that matter). This piece conveyed a good rythm, tone and was effective in capturing a single experience. I especially appreciated the bit about narrative. I think that if you, Jon, continue to produce things like this you will eventually create something remarkable. You're like a mirror to society, completely oblivious to what you are doing and unable to articulate it, but in practical terms far better at representing the world around you in a graphic way than myself. By the by anonymous, if you read carefully enough to notice that the phrase which you found so objectional was articulated by a character within the piece other than the narrator. Details such as these are important to note whilst approaching a text. Furthermore, the notion that man is a cockroach is not outlandish in the least. Consider the writing of Plato, Dostoevsky etc etc...I think there is a lot more going on here than you are aware of. Try interpreting and responding to a text with a little more subtlty and perhaps you will gain some insight that is a little more delicate than right and wrong. This piece certainly deserves as much.

Erroneous Monk said...

I've never been called a head cold before. That makes me feel so special. Spell my name right next time. I love you Andrew.

Anonymous said...

Ah, exactly the reaction I hoped to elicit from you philosopher one. A beautifully crafted response/defence filled with insight and wonderful presuppositions about your audience. It was I, the snake, all along! You settled down into my coils without even a murmer of protest.
" I don't think anyone would accuse Jon of being esoteric and elitist in his writing, or even in life. He's far too unique to be arrogant."
Well, apparently someone just did accuse Jon of these things (though I think I used different words). Since when does being unique make it impossible for your to be arrogant. That's clearly something that you, or one of your wonderful philosopher teachers, just made up. It's a wonderful to be able to spout something and expect that just because you said it that there is authority behind it.
"...but if you are critiquing his writing style I think that you are entirely wrong(and out of your league for that matter)."
This statement tells me that you aren't trying to say anything to anyone in specific, but that your mind is made up that anyone who differs in opinion to you is out of their league. First, I wasn't talking at all about critiquing his writing style. Second, you didn't know your audience in your response. It may very well be true (though much less likely) that I'm out of my league, but you didn't know that and there was no way to have been able to tell that from that short post of mine. So, instead of actually rebutting some lack of intelligence, you were just in general throwing out the claim that anyone in disagreement with you is out of their league. Beauty.
"By the by anonymous, if you read carefully enough to notice that the phrase which you found so objectional was articulated by a character within the piece other than the narrator. Details such as these are important to note whilst approaching a text."
Thanks for the condescention pie, it was enjoyable. I understand that that was said by someone in the story. Did you read on to see that the narrator says, "Silently I think that he's right. People are afraid of the truth. We hide when the great light of truth goes on. Shy away from its blatant oppressive staring eye." I used the character's quote because it was representative of the narrators opinion (unless this is ne of those posts where everything written actually means the opposite). I just love your little instructions on how to read text.
"Furthermore, the notion that man is a cockroach is not outlandish in the least. Consider the writing of Plato, Dostoevsky..."
Does that mean it's true? Ooops, I said the T word. Forget I asked.
"Try interpreting and responding to a text with a little more subtlty and perhaps you will gain some insight that is a little more delicate than right and wrong."
I didn't take the time to explain myself. Mostly because I wanted to get someone angry (cause there hasn't been any of that since the last time I stirred the proverbial pot with Jeff's post a couple months ago). The annoying thing about you telling me to respond with more subtlty is that you never actaully address any of the things that I say. You just condescend and use your 'college joe' talk to make it sound like I (or whoever the audience may have been) have no idea what I'm talking about. How can you do that when you don't even know who it is? How can you do that when I only wrote a couple lines? You're all about freedom of expression, but without actually trying to engage my comment in any sort of debate you shot it down like an intellectual bully. Isn't that a little hypocritical considering you hate authoritarian tactics? You can't take there being a heirarchy in society where people have authority over you that you didn't render unto them. You know why? Because you're not on top. In this blog you can do whatever you wnat though and be the little dictator of your blog world. Does it feel good to be king for once? Smush the little prolitarians with your words without talking to them or even knowing who they are? Anyways, that's all I got for you. I'll see you on Sunday, and I'll be expecting a big punch in the stomach.

Your Favorite Anaconda

PS. Don't take this too seriously because I really am just trying to get you to call off the ghestapo on the anonymous posts.

PPS. Jon, I'm not a cockroach. You've seen my blood is just as red as yours.

the philosopher one said...

I knew it was you, there was no doubt in my mind. This is the reason for the content of my response. I meant unique in a downsyndrome sense. And, yes again this is not an issue of true. The problem is not that you disagree with me, but that the things you are saying are irrelevant. I would also like to note that my defence of John was not an angry responce. The issue here is that you simply do not know how to read. This is obvious in the fact that you thought I wouldn't be able to tell that it was you posting. I could tell from the comment that it was your voice. I am fully aware that the narrator recapitulates the idea, but that is besides the point. As usual you are being redactive...I am tired and hungry and would rather attend to those needs than attempt to explain this more.

Erroneous Monk said...

Eric, I love you. I just like to write like this because its so very freeing. Your comments are well placed. I think we all need to hit some acid and then watch lava lamps for a while. I shall continue to write and Eric shall continue to comment. C'mon people now, smile on your brother.

Anonymous said...

I like your comment Jon. That's what I think too (especially the acid part). I think it's the wee Andee that needs to take a chill pill cause he takes it so seriously. Don't be such a pissy pants! Oh, and the only reason you knew it was me is because I'm the only person who ever says anything contrary on this blog. Seriously, I've never read any other protest. Or maybe you felt the sinewy coils wrapping around your neck as you read. Muhaha.

the philosopher one said...

It was you who condemned the piece the first place. Honestly, me the one to take a chill pill, so SERIOUSLY infuriating. It really isn't fair to jump down peoples' throats and then claim that everyone should just get along. If you want to start a pseudo-discussion which is not condusive to anything positive and then attempt to look like the gracious one then you truly are a snake. It is odd that you would use such imagery about yourself considering the pervasive motif of serpents in the mythology that you partake in.

Erroneous Monk said...

I say monkey knife to the death.