Friday, July 29, 2005

Shuttles and Summer of '69 (MXPX)

Since Lance Armstrong, Sputnik and that dog went up into space. People have been sending crap into the sky quicker then a ball player on steroids. But it wasnt all good times and floating. In 2003 the shuttle Columbia exploded before landing in Miami killing all 7 aboard. Since then NASA has been quickly trying to work out the kinks in shuttle design and electronics. Now with the coming (hopefully) of the shuttle Discovery, the worlds obsession with space can continue.
By this time if you had been born in the last forty years we were supposed to be living on the moon. Having a grand old time floating, playing golf and eating mooncakes. But it seems that we're still where we started. Except we have better clothes instead of tin foil and flock of seagulls haircuts.
Since the beginning of time man has wondered whats out there. So for a couple thousand years we waited until the Soviets sent up the first object ever to make it into space. Sputnik. Sounds like something you say when you get hit. Then they sent a dog and a dude. Not toegether. Thatd be wierd. But it was the God-a-fearin', gun loving, freedom keeping, good ol' USA that sent the first shmuck to the moon. We've all heard the speech so I wont say it.
But with the success of many missions had to have failures. The shuttle Challenger exploded in 1986 after a rocket booster failed. Then more recently the Columbia exploded. But the majority of the missions are successful. If you count if gerbils can survive in flight a success. NASA will continue to tweak and fix most problems.
So whats my point? How long are you people going to keep asking me that? Honestly. My point is this. Though I highly doubt we'll see commercialized space travel in our time, it is becoming more easy to join a space program. I dont want to go to space. Aliens and an evil Empire are out there. Trust me I know. Though it may never be Star Trek or Star Wars or Battlestar Galactia or other of those nerd shows, it will be increasingly rare for disasters to happen. Maybe they'll put Maroon 5 on the moon. Save everyone from ear bleedings. Watch out for falling foam and satillites people.
Adieu.
My shins are glass

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i still don't see my article on "tolerance" yet.

Erroneous Monk said...

Jeffs job. Not mine. Hows Aussie land?

Anonymous said...

mia, I'm workig on it, it's HARD! That and I've been away from the computer a lot lately, on yet another of my solitary 'FORAY'S INTO ADVENTURE!' but I will get it done, I promise

Anonymous said...

heeeeeeey! australia's great!:) i got your email john and i promise i'll try to email you in the next few days. we leave wednesday to camp in the outback for 2 1/2 weeks so yeah...but thankyou so much it was nice to get an email from you! i'm hardly on so don't get offended if i don't email you back right away. so yeah, keep me updated on what's going on in your life and if you're preventing forest fires. but don't email me at my msn address, email me here: mia.bertsch@gmail.com :) okay hi to jeff too! take care! and keep being "Jesus" to those who cross your paths!

Erroneous Monk said...

No prob, darlin'. Jeff will have that tolerance thing up soon or I'll beat him with a wet noodle.