Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Clothed in Skin

I am going to say something which very few people will believe. Ready? Wait for it...
My consciousness once spontaneously drifted out of my physical body and I lost all conception that, whatever I may be, I was not my body, but was something much more connected with the rest of reality, something more ephemeral, but at the same time much more than the tiny physical body which I so often mistake for myself.

I told you that you wouldn't believe it.

I tell this story because I have recently come up against some rather frightening medical problems involving my heart. It probably isn't anything, but nevertheless I have been gripped by fear for my mortal body. To quote South Park, "You know, I learned something today". Well actually I have known it for a long time and am reminded of it every time my physical body is in pain. I am afraid of death.

I don't think that I am alone in my fear of mortality, but I feel like a hypocrite in my fear. I must return to the inebriated blog which I deleted referred to in my last post. In describing my decietfulness I also discussed, albeit drunkenly, the fact that my blog name is thephilosopherone. I ranted drunkenly that I am a charlatan and that I do not deserve this title. I don't think that anyone really does. I have considered changing it, but that would just confuse me. I have developed this persona on the web and to change the name would be disasterous. I would like to clear up the misconceptions surrounding that name. I do not profess to have any answers. I do not profess to be intelligent. I read a lot, who gives a flying fuck! I think a lot, who doesn't! I am not trying to bring enlightenment to people, I do not possess esoteric knowledge. I strive to be free, to be free from knowledge, belief, faith...I strive to be free from mortality? So, I am a hypocrite. For all my talk, all my ideas about a loss of self, the fact that " I do not know" WHO I am, is all bullocks. When it comes down to it, I feel a strange attachment to this flesh suit which I think of as myself.

Am I merely like a new arrival to a nudist colony who is reluctant to remove his boxers? Is my attachment to my physical body something that will leave as I grow older? as it wastes away to nothing? Can I truly escape my dependance on my body in this life. The goal of the ascetic is to do just this, but prophets from Buddha to Jesus to Mohammed(don't worry no pictures) denied these practices. They stressed the importance of the physical body. I think that this is where gnosticism (the belief that the physical world is nothing but illusion) falls apart. Our physical bodies are important to our spiritual quests. To deny the body food and water entirely would make it impossible to search for some sort of enlightenment.

I have never fully understood the motivation of a martyr. I have heard many North American preachers exhorting people to praise martyrdom, but it never sat well with me. Perhaps there is something wrong with martyrdom? Could there not be as much value in uttering a few heretical words, but continuing to LIVE? Is not LIFE better than death? I am not denying that martyrdom is a noble thing, something to hold aloft as venerable, but I am just wondering why I would not be able to do it. I would not be able to choose death over life. I WANT TO LIVE! I have something to do, something to say, something to experience. I haven't finished with life. Jesus didn't die until he said that "it is finished". Jesus knew his thing to do (not that we have the faintest clue what that was), but I don't know what I have to finish. How can I ever die if I never find out what it is I am supposed to do, or be?

Perhaps I should focus on just that, on being, rather than doing, I have said this many times before, as has the Introspective Irishman, but when I try to focus on being I end up torturing myself mentally and spiritually and with this recent heart issue, physically as well. My vain struggle to find an elevated state of being leaves my physical body in ruin, which begs the question, should I just give up on seeking? Should I live a contented animal life? sleep and feed, sleep and feed. I can't do that without a lobotomy, so I can't and I must face physical ruin. Maybe then I will be able to shift off these clothes of skin and really start LIVING, finally begin BEING. To be a real living being instead of a shiftless anxiety ridden animal. For now I am caught in a cycle of compulsion to seek something beyond myself with the ironic result which makes me physically unable to seek anything but sleep and food.

I have probably been being all the time. I just want to be concious of that being which only seems to happen beyond my grasp. Oh well.

I still haven't ever seen the dusk...

6 comments:

Heliantheae said...

You bring about some intersting things, dear Andrew. And I'm ever so happy to hear your valuing life...I'd advise the 'being, rather than doing;' it's as real as anything could ever be.
you pose a splendid point about martyrdom...and perhaps, or most definately, martyrs are glorified. Then where doth importance lie - in one's believing an identity, or living an identity?

Altruistic Indemnity said...

Radix enim omnium malorum est cupiditas.

Love of money is the root of evil.

To truly satisfy the mind, you first satisfy the body. We should reap what we sow. We should labour toward something meaningful. Toil to feed our own body. This is the essence of fulfillment.

A Farmer at his field. A Fisher in his boat. The greatest learning is on the field, between the master and the student.

the philosopher one said...

I agree entirely with the second part of your statement Penguin. I was in fact planning on writing in that direction after this post. One thing, the quote is, "the love of money is A root of many kinds of evil".

And Helianthus, was I not valuing life lately, I can't remember, have I been terribly fatalistic for the past little while? you phrased the thought much better than I though: "Then where doth importance lie - in one's believing an identity, or living an identity?" That is a very good thought, but I think that I was saying more "Is the importance in believing/living an identity and believing/dieing an identity. I am not sure any more which I was trying to say. We are getting somewhere here though...

Anonymous said...

hey, thats funny. "a Human being... a human doing... a human going" thats from the simpsons, when that sciester comes to town.

Erroneous Monk said...

So much reading. I'll just assume you wenty on about things. I liked it. Way to go, sparky. Christmas pudding for all.

Anonymous said...

Justin, don't leave anonymous messages....

I ahev things to say on the actual subject, but no time. I shall when I get a chance...soon...